(I'm tired of ranking everything. New items will appear at the top of the list.)
- The Government of Pakistan: Fellow ministers failed to support Nilofar Bakhtiar, Pakistan's Minister for Tourism (Pakistan has tourism?), when hard-line Islamic clerics demanded her resignation for hugging her parachute instructor at a charity event.
(Izvestia; h/t to Fark; 22 May 07)
- 49 State Legislatures: Religious conservatives are lobbying nationwide against mandated HPV vaccine, claiming that it will "encourage promiscuity". Assuming arguendo that this claim is true, apparently such people consider promiscuity to be worse than death by cervical cancer. Only Virgina has mandated the administration of this life-saving vaccine.
(e.g. StarNewsOnline.com; 22 May 07)
- Eva Marie Mauldin: Their infant daughter was severely burned after her husband, Joshua, placed her in a microwave for 10-20 seconds. The mother blames... Satan. Authorities are seeking to sever their parental rights.
(Houston Chronicle; h/t to News of the Weird Daily; 21 May 07)
- Iraqi Yazidis and Muslims: "The stoning to death of a teenage girl belonging to the Yazidi religious sect because she fell in love with a Muslim man has led to a spiral of violence in northern Iraq in which 23 elderly factory workers have been shot dead and 800 Yazidi students forced to flee their university in Mosul."
(The Independent; Thanks anticant!; 15 May 07)
- Rev. Sherman C. Gee Allen: Just being a clergyman accused of assault and rape is not enough to make it to the list (even given the blatant hypocrisy: clergy are held up as moral exemplars). However Rev. Allen had his own "spin" on sexual assault, justifying it with biblical verses: Plaintiff Davina Kelly said that Rev. Allen
gave her a Bible and asked her to turn to passages such as the one that yielded the phrase "spare the rod, spoil the child."Rev. Allen has denied the allegations.
"It ended up being a lot of Scripture on spanking for the most part – parents disciplining their children," she said in a February interview. "When he had me read them, it became obvious he meant for it to be spanking me."
(dallasnews.com; h/t to Fark.com; 15 May 07)
- Eric Rudolph: Serving life in Colorado's "Supermax" prison for a series of religiously-motivated abortion clinic bombings and the murder of a police officer, Rudolph is still able to taunt his victims thanks to the cooperation of an Army of God supporter.
(Tulsa World; h/t to Fark.com; 15 May 07)
- Fred Phelps: Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing Jerry Falwell's funeral.
(Westboro Baptist Church [pdf]; h/t to Fark; 17 May 07)
- Dick and Luke Otterstad: This father and son team is picketing San Juan High School principal Dave Terwilliger. Their agenda: To permit Christian students to wear anti-gay t-shirts to school. The principal had previously suspended students for wearing t-shirts implying that homosexuals would go to hell. [see comments]
(Sacramento Bee; h/t to Atheist Revolution; 19 May 07)
- Straitgate Church proselytizers: Several members of the Church were mistaken (?) for child molesters for approaching children in a Minneapolis public park.
(StarTribune.com; h/t to Fark; 19 May 07)
- The National Association of State Boards of Education: The only candidate for president of this august institution is Kenneth Willard, a Kansas Republican who supports the teaching of
Biblical creationism, er... scientific creationism, oops... intelligent design in public schools.
(statesman.com; h/t to Fark; 19 May 07)
This list: Religion 10, Nontheism 0
Previous list: Religion 10, Nontheism 0
Total: Religion 20, Nontheism 0