If you have any stories of religious idiots, comment on this thread or email me at lrhamelin (at) gmail (dot) com. To be fair, if any nontheists do something amusingly or egregiously idiotic on the basis of their nontheism, I'll include them here.
Update: Thanks to potentilla, we have our first ten religious idiots!
- Andhra Pradesh villagers: Villagers burned an elderly couple alive for allegedly practicing "black magic".
(Reuters India; h/t to Fark; 7 May 07)
- Nigerian Muslim Students: Students at Government Secondary School of Gandu, Nigeria, murdered a Christian teacher because she touched a bag containing a Koran.
(Compass Direct News; h/t to anticant's arena; 6 May 07)
- The editors of L'Osservatore Romano: An editorial in the official Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, called public criticism of the Pope "terrorism".
(globeandmail.com; Thanks, Brian!; 6 May 07)
- Managers of Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre: Haggling over the toilets in Christianity's most sacred church
(News of the Weird; 6 May 07)
- NEW! The editors of the Hezbollah newspaper: The editors accused Iranian president Ahmadinejad of "indecency" for kissing the gloved hand of his former schoolteacher for Iranian Teachers' Day.
(TimesOnline; thanks potentilla!; 13 May 07)
- Good News Independent Baptist Church: This North Carolina church put up a sign that reads on one side, "[T]he message of 'Islam' is submit, convert or die." The other side reads, "When is the last time you heard of a Jew or Christian with a bomb strapped to their body?" And when was the last time you heard of an atheist murdering an Ob/Gyn?
(WRAL.com; h/t to Fark; 12 May 07)
- Austin "Jack" DeCoster: According to boston.com, DeCoster fired Cacy Cantwell because of Cantwell's atheism, and then lied about the reason for his firing.
(h/t to Fark; 6 May 07)
- Don Larsen: Larson, a Utah County Republican delegate, introduced a resolution blaming Satan for illegal immigration.
(Salt Lake Tribune; Thanks Brian!; 7 May 07)
- Michelle Incanno
(or Starbucks?): Incanno became outraged when she read a quotation on her Starbucks coffee cup, which was critical of religious belief. [see comments]
(Dayton Daily News; h/t to Fark; 7 May 07)
- Mic-happy John Doe: "The white zone is for loading and unloading only. If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death." An unidentified person at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport gained access to the public address system and broadcast Leviticus 20:13 multiple times. Authorities are investigating.
(Orlando Sentinel, h/t to Fark; 6 May 07)
This list: Religion 10, Nontheism 0