Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I just can’t do it

I just can't do it. I can't vote for a candidate who supports the occupation and exploitation of Iraq, who supports aggression against Iran, who supports the corporate plutocracy, and who supports the erosion of our civil liberties.

I am convinced that all the Democrats I am likely to be able to choose have all of the above characteristics.

I can't support Bormann because he's not as bad as Hitler. I can't support Stalin because he's not as bad as Beria.

I just can't do it. I'm not going to do it. I couldn't take enough showers to ever feel clean again if I were to do it. There comes a time where you have to say damn the consequences, I'm not going to do it because it's wrong, no matter how much "wronger" the alternative.

I'm tired of giving up 50%, then 80% then 90%, then 99% and having the Republicans fight to split the remaining 1% and damn us in the same breath for our intransigence.

This is where compromise and the lesser of two evils has brought us: A race to the bottom which the Republicans and authoritarians will always win.

I don't care how close to the bottom we are: I'm out of the race. Maybe, like a dedicated alcoholic, we do have to hit bottom to have any hope of change.

If we get a Guiliani presidency because the left can't rally around an not-quite-so-evil Democratic president, then too bad.


  1. Larry,

    I understand where you are coming from on this. We shouldn't always support candidates just because they less bad than the alternatives. I remember some people bitterly attacking Nader for "stealing" votes from Kerry in the last election. However, those lost votes are punishment: if you are not genuinely progressive, then you don't get *our* votes. The people do not compromise; the parties do.

  2. Funny, I had this conversation earlier today. Seems to be catching. That's a good thing.


Please pick a handle or moniker for your comment. It's much easier to address someone by a name or pseudonym than simply "hey you". I have the option of requiring a "hard" identity, but I don't want to turn that on... yet.

With few exceptions, I will not respond or reply to anonymous comments, and I may delete them. I keep a copy of all comments; if you want the text of your comment to repost with something vaguely resembling an identity, email me.

No spam, pr0n, commercial advertising, insanity, lies, repetition or off-topic comments. Creationists, Global Warming deniers, anti-vaxers, Randians, and Libertarians are automatically presumed to be idiots; Christians and Muslims might get the benefit of the doubt, if I'm in a good mood.

See the Debate Flowchart for some basic rules.

Sourced factual corrections are always published and acknowledged.

I will respond or not respond to comments as the mood takes me. See my latest comment policy for details. I am not a pseudonomous-American: my real name is Larry.

Comments may be moderated from time to time. When I do moderate comments, anonymous comments are far more likely to be rejected.

I've already answered some typical comments.

I have jqMath enabled for the blog. If you have a dollar sign (\$) in your comment, put a \\ in front of it: \\\$, unless you want to include a formula in your comment.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.